This spring, the Community Learning Programs at Herron School of Art and Design will host 10 programs for art-curious youth and adults. Each spring, summer, and fall, central Indiana’s aspiring artists are invited to gain authentic art-making experiences in a welcoming and supportive environment that fosters creativity and self-expression.
Taught by adjunct faculty along with Indianapolis-based artists, Herron’s Community Learning Programs focus on personal artistic enrichment for all ages and skill levels. Spring 2018 programs include Saturday School courses for students in grades 3 through 12 and workshops for adults ages 18 and up. Disciplines covered include drawing, painting, printmaking, and sculpture as well as the creative use of new technologies such as 3D printing and laser engraving.
All sessions are offered on Saturdays, running February 24 through April 14, 2018. Saturday School classes cost $190 per semester for
Saturday School offerings
- Experience Art (Grades 3-5): Young inquisitive and creative minds will learn about the creative process and explore a wide range of media including drawing, painting, sculpture, and comics. All materials are provided.
- Clay + Sculpture (Grades 6-8): Students in this beginner’s course will explore form-making techniques used in ceramics and sculpture including, hand building, modeling, carving, and casting. All materials are provided.
- Drawing + Painting (Grades 6-8): In this exploratory course, students will be introduced to color in both drawing and painting while using a variety of materials from pencil to
collage. All materials are provided.
- Clay + Sculpture (Grades 9-12): Students in this beginner’s course will explore form-making techniques used in ceramics and sculpture including hand building, modeling, carving, and casting. All materials are provided.
- Drawing + Painting (Grades 9-12): Using a variety of techniques, students will explore the relationship between drawing and painting while building compositional skills. All materials are provided.
- Pre-College Foundations (Grades 11-12): College-bound students interested in pursuing a fine art or design degree will build skills in drawing, design, and digital tools. This course precedes the Herron Pre-College Intensive to be offered in June 2018. All materials are provided.
- Screenprinting: Participants will learn the basics of screenprinting in a two-session workshop on Feb. 24 and March 3 from 9 to 11 a.m. Tuition is $125 and includes all materials.
- Introduction to 3-D Printing: Participants will learn to print in three dimensions using Herron’s Think It
MakeIt Lab. Sessions run on Feb. 24, March 3, 10, and 17 from 9 to 11 a.m. Tuition is $225 and includes all materials.
- Laser Engraving: Participants will explore the creative possibilities of digital fabrication using a laser engraver to etch, cut, and engrave designs. Sessions run on March 24 and 31 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Tuition is $125 and includes all materials.
- Monotype Printmaking: Participants will create vibrant and colorful prints using printmaking’s most painterly process in a two-session workshop on April 7 and 14 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Tuition is $125 and includes all materials.