Interdisciplinary Visual Art/Design faculty position
Herron School of Art and Design seeks candidates for a full-time, tenure-track or lecturer faculty position at the rank of assistant professor or lecturer with expertise in new, emerging, or convergent technologies as well as the ability to engage students in art and design using traditional and digital capacities. The position will begin August 1, 2020.
The successful candidate must be actively engaged in the exploration of emerging technologies and their structural, social, and cultural impact on art/design practices. We are seeking an individual interested in expanding these practices through the integration of and experimentation with emerging technologies, tools, and processes. Applicants should have a strong ability to teach as an artist/designer with experience in its application to other art and design disciplines. Teaching expertise within their discipline as a creative and integrative practice and the ability to contribute to shared or intersecting areas of expertise in other areas of the school and campus is a plus.
Herron views art and design as evolving creative practices that can transcend traditional disciplinary boundaries and are broadly defined by purpose rather than by media alone. Students in the school employ creative approaches that bridge both traditional and cutting-edge methods and media. They create content with the intent of conveying specific meaning and messages while developing skills for professional practice in the arts, education, and diverse design disciplines. Herron strives to produce artists and designers who will approach their work in innovative ways both in commercial and artistic spheres. The ideal candidate will possess a varied breadth of knowledge and expertise in established and emerging applications of technology within the context of art and design disciplines. Areas of strength could include content structures that are, diverse such as visual narrative, informational or interpretive, interactive (digitally-interactive or physically-interactive systems and communication architectures), within formats that range from 2D works and 3D objects, to screens and virtual spaces, or environments (both analog and digital).
- MFA in studio arts or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant field
- Tenure-line position: Three or more years of college-level teaching experience beyond graduate teaching assistantship or professional experience directly relevant to the position
- Lecturer position: One year of college-level teaching relevant to the position
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: digital media, practice that explores contemporary art, industrial design, installation, performance, and/or design
- Ability to teach digital media as a creative and integrative practice that spans multiple media, at graduate and undergraduate levels
- Commitment to teaching students from foundations to graduate level
- Tenure-line position: Distinguished and active interdisciplinary practice in their research and teaching
Lecturer position: Excellence and scholarship in teaching
- Interest in contributing to shared or intersecting areas of practice throughout the Herron School of Art and Design and the IUPUI campus
- Established record of exhibitions, publications, commissioned or contracted work, professional design work, or professional-level applications of art or design in non-traditional settings
- Experience with civic engagement or potential for working with organizations or contexts beyond the academic institution
Applicants should submit
- Cover letter: stating interest and qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- Brief statement of research focus and activities
- Brief statement of teaching philosophy
- Sample of research/creative activity (images and/or published work)
- Sample of student work (list under “Other”)
- Names and contact information for three references
Department contact for questions
Individuals who require a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process should notify Laura Kernodle at email@example.com well in advance.
For best consideration date
Visit IU Careers to Apply
Back to top